Here are four foods we at RESULTS Personal Training think are must have’s in our diet due to the excellent health benefits.
Our Favourite Spice
Tumeric! The active ingredient in Turmeric is Curcumin. Curcumin is a powerful antioxidant, anti inflammatory and has anti cancer properties. In a lab test, it has shown that Curcumin inhibits several different types of cancer cells and significantly slows down the spread of cancer in animals.
Nuts and Bolts
– Walnuts have significant amounts of omega 3 fat while most other nuts tend to have monounsaturated fat.
– Cashews have a ton of minerals not to mention a reasonable amount of protein per handful.
– Pecans also contain a load of minerals and have a good amount of fibre per serving.
– Brazil nuts are full of selenium, a very powerful antioxidant which has been linked to lower rates of cancer.
– Hazelnuts contain beta-sitosterol, a plant sterol that reduces the symptoms of benign prostrate hyperplasia which puts pressure on the bladder.
– Finally the Peanut. The Peanut is not actually part of the nut family, they are a legume! They do however contain some potassium, fibre and iron which is all beneficial. Unfortunately the peanut, even the natural kind, contains a mould that has phyto-estrogens in it. These are foreign substances functioning as the primary female sex hormone. Too much estrogen can be very dangerous and cause a number of diseases so we suggest you leave these out of your diet, or eat them sparingly.
Coffee… Drink or Avoid?
Coffee is definitely something the experts struggle to agree on, some say yes some say no. Well here is what we think. Coffee has a big heap of antioxidants, so much so that it out does most other beverages. A 2001 study in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry found that coffee has more antioxidant activity than the likes of cocoa, green tea, black tea and herbal teas. According to the Nurse’s Health Study two or three cups of coffee a day may lower the incidence of Parkinson’s disease. We personally think that a cup of coffee, three to four times a week is fine, just make sure you choose Organic coffee beans as non organic coffee is chemically laden. And if you are to add milk, make sure it is raw whole fat milk!
Coconut is truly fantastic for your health. Coconut Oil has been proven to support healthy thyroid function by not inhibiting the body’s thyroid metabolism like other Vegetable Oils do. It also helps prevent osteoporosis and tooth decay and reduces hypoglycemic cravings.
Here’s a fascinating fact: In the 1940’s, farmers tried to use Coconut Oil to fatten up their animals, only to have their plan backfire. They ended up with lean, active and healthy cattle
So if you want a better body and wish to live longer, make sure you add these into your diet